April 28, 2009

BOLD Love

All semester long I've gradually read the chapters of this revolutionary book, Bold Love, by Dr. Dan B. Allender and now have concluded it along with the school year. Each week I discussed with other upper-classmen girls in Reformed University Fellowship how Allender claimed we ought to revise our relationship paradigm according how the Bible calls us to truly love. This book has really changed my perspective. I feel called to be more intentional in my all my relationships, from the deeper ones to just my acquaintances. The first step in healing a relationship is forgiveness, (and this is not just forgive and forget) but forgiveness with strong desire and hope for redemption. According to Allender, we are called to love one another by hating the evil in one another. Allender goes on for probably a hundred pages emphasizing that it is like we are waging war. Alot of Allender's ideas seemed so extreme to me... sometimes I would think "chill out dude", but then I realized that he was addressing me in his book. His passion for reconciliation should not be taken lightly, and we should not take the people in our lives for granted. If we truly love the people around us, we won't fear confronting them if it is to spur them on towards goodness and holiness. Loving someone isn't just making them happy all of the time by turning a cheek to their sin. If you truly love someone, love them boldly by holding them accountable in order to build their character. It is my goal to continue to take this active role in loving the people God has placed in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment