December 4, 2009

My visit to Val-de-Grâce


This week, in a break between my classes, I walked to a church that we learned about it my Architecture class called "Val-de-Grâce". It wasn't far from Reid Hall and the walk there was really cool, I actually discovered a couple of unique shops on the way. That's always the case though when walking in Paris. It has a beautiful exterior with the entrance set off the street so that you enter first through a big iron gate into a cobble stoned courtyard. Today it's a governmental building. At some point during the 18th century the church was converted into a military hospital (I've started to realize how bad I am about internalizing the chronology of historical events... but I feel in Paris it's a necessary trait because they have so much intricate history. Anyway...) It was practically deserted, I WAS the only visitor there. So all of the extremely bored employees were happy to lead me through the aggravatingly nonsensical layout of exhibits they had winding through the building in order to finally get into the church. It was a very cool museum about the red cross and military medicine. I got to see all of these cool vintage army uniforms. As I was confused as to which way to turn... at this point I had reached like 5 dead ends trying to follow the green "Sorti" signs. So after passing the security man a few times, I asked him if I could just get to the church and we ended up talking for about 30 minutes. He was a very nice man from the Congo and had had experiences in Canada and with American's that brought him back to the lifestyle he much-preferred in France. He said with much effort "I would like to tell you the story of this church" and I enthusiastically nodded "Yes! Please do!".
Val-de-Grâce was built in celebration of the nativity of Louis XIV (... pretty much the most famous King of France). Anne of Austria, wife of Louis XII, was unable to produce an heir to the thrown. After 20 years of anxiety, waiting and wondering if she would be able to continue the blood line, she did not lose hope. She gathered the members of her religious community and asked for their continual prayers for her to have a child. Anne of Austria pronounced that if she were to become pregnant she will build a marvelous church in honor of God's providence and for the those who helped support her. After another 3 years of waiting, A BABY CAME and Val-de-Grâce's construction was underway. "That" the security guard said "is a true story of faith." Louis XIV was baptized there and when his father died when he was seven, the construction was put on hold because of lack of finances until Louis XIV himself became King at the age of 13. The nice man took me to the window to show me the evidence of two different styles of architecture that had changed during the time period (very educational :-)) Our discussion carried on about how a majority of people are loosing that faith, but we both acknowledged and agreed that in this world, faith is a possession worth more than anything material, that faith can move mountains. The interior of the church was stunning. And I appreciated it so much more having engaged in that enriching discussion with that nice man.

4 comments:

  1. These photos depict a truly amazing place! It's unimaginable how these majestic things were conceived and constructed. I wish I could have been there with you. (MOM again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful, friend! i live for experiences like this. i love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely narrative with even more beautiful pictures. So glad you get this wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete