November 17, 2009

A good read for a Parisian sweet tooth :D

So I finished my third metro-commute-read today, "The Sweet Life in Paris" by David Lebovitz. Its a little autobiographical account of M. Lebovitz's, a dessert chef and connoisseur, adjustment to French life. After his wife passed away he ventured to Paris in search of a new experience... and he acquired many. David has a good sense of humor and a great sarcastic attitude. He likes to complain a lot about les parisiennes... in fact some of the quirks about the french that he mentioned, I probably would never have noticed... but now I'm totally aware of how everyone self-assuredly walks through the metros and on the sidewalks with out any concern of other people's paths. Now I realize how I'm always swerving and weaving through the masses of people. He devotes each chapter to an experience or observation, like his spontaneous job at a fish market, or the garishness of Franprix supermarché. He has great recommendations for specialty shops, cheeses and of course pastries!One chapter was about his favorite cup of hot chocolate- chocolat chaud! It was so cool to be able to seek out the café, Pâtisserie Viennoise, and try a cup after reading about it! (It wasn't the best cup I've every tasted but it was certainly rich and creamy and unique experience). Each chapter includes a recipe (some french, some not) that pertains to the story he told. I can't wait to try to make my own Chocolat Macarons! They're my favorite cookies here. Thanks Granny for sending me this fun read!
(Click on his name for his blog and recipes, Yum Yum Yum YUM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment